Sunday, July 06, 2008

Thoughts on a Sunday...

I was reminded today that God really does know and love us. He knows me and wants to bless me and help me progress in my life. On the way to church today by myself (the rest of the fam stayed home with a barfing Hadland--sorry if that was too much info :), I prayed that I would hear what I needed to for me to overcome some of my failings and struggles. I was very blessed to be prompted to record some thoughts from Sacrament Meeting in my journal. The very first thing I wrote was the comment someone made about the world being a selfish place and that reading the scriptures helped us distance ourselves from that selfishness all around us. Boy, that was tailor-made for me, I tell ya! Over and over I heard witnesses of the help the scriptures bring to our lives.

My prayer was answered. I know that I am "scripturally malnourished" right now, and the treatment is easy and straightforward--feast upon the scriptures daily with purpose, diligence, faith, and trust.

I also read something this afternoon that was sobering. In Alma 30, an Anti-Christ named Korihor starts teaching the people that all of their faithful traditions are really foolish and that there was no way to prove that God exists. I was reminded of Elder Oaks' talk in April 2008 conference about testimonies and how we know certain things even though they are not scientifically "prove-able". Korihor taught the people something very interesting in verse 17: "And many more such things did he say unto them, telling them that there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man afared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and bwhatsoever a man did was cno crime."

What that verse is saying to me is that when I feel myself get discouraged because I can't overcome something or I keep failing, if I stop trying it is because I think that I am all alone in trying to overcome. Korihor had no faith in something greater than himself that was able to and wanted to help him be better. The lack of humility and trust made him an island to himself, with no hope of progress (but also no thought as to judgment either).

I don't want to be Korihor. My faith is strong, and I can humble myself more each day. I know God is willing to help--I just have to trust Him and do my best. He is a loving father who wants what is best for His child--me. I have to remind myself to not be Korihor-ish, but to be believing. It is easy to be discouraged, but it is so much more important to be faithful.

The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It has blessed my life and will continue to as I feast daily. Have you read today? :)

No comments: