Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Positive Persistence

I read an email yesterday that talked about "positive persistence." It was referring to offering healthy food to your children, but I thought about it is a more universal light. Just this morning, Lauren threw a fit about the fact that I wouldn't let her eat yogurt raisins on the stairs. The rule in our house is that we eat seated at the table. Just because she doesn't want to do that does NOT mean that the rule needs to be null and void for her. I encountered resistance (duh!), but I need to persist in expecting obedience to the rule. What an basic but essential principle in parenting! Now, if I could just tame my temper...

2 comments:

Sweetarita said...

Oh Melanie!!! you are such a fabulous example to me and I have seen you hold your tongue on more than one occassion where I would have blew up. I have to pray every day that I will be kind and be able to have Temperance!! I have decided that I can't pray for patience because I first need to have temperance- Oh that it wasn't so hard!! I think this is my weakness- I just keep thinking about in Ether 12 :27- and weak things shall become strong!Keep up your persistance you are amazing!love you

Nephi said...

Hey friend of the Donut! I had no idea you had a blog! I just saw your comment to my blog and just was curious what would happen if I clicked on your name and sure enough, your blog popped up! Better late then never. Does your family (you know, your oldest sister for instance) know you have this blog? I've been enjoying reading some of your posts. You are an inspiration. Keep it up. Please give your handsome hubby a wedgie for me. I'll never forget that monster chocolate candy bar you guys bought for me. That was heaven on a table.