Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am tired today.

Not just run-of-the-mill tired, but bone tired, stone-cold tired. Do you know what I mean? I am sure you do. I went to the gym this morning to get a little exercise and decided I couldn't face another day on the treadmill with nothing to distract me. So I went to a class called Body Sculpting. It should have been called Body Destruction 101. Seriously. I bared lived through it.

I don't think of myself as a wimpy person. In fact, I think I am rather strong. I have some decent cardio fitness as well, thanks to a treadmill that can show DVDs--hence my ability to do 5k races in less than 30 minutes. Not an Ironman (ironperson?), but not a slouch either.

I think my opinion was decidedly changed today.

Shoulders are not meant to be worked out. Moderate workouts on quads are acceptable as long as it doesn't include endless sets of lunges of many varieties.

I am humbled. I am a wimp. The lady that taught the class didn't look like she was in such great shape, but man, she kicked my trash from here to Jupiter (and back). I am not sure if I have it in me to go again.

I AM a wimp, but at least I am a self-aware wimp. That's important, right?

4 comments:

TM CLAN said...

You are my hero! I won't dare go in those workout rooms. I lack the coordination to follow the simple instructions, let alone the physical beating.

May you heal quickly!

Thunell Family said...

You are amazing!!! Not a wimp at all. I'm the one that just turns over in my bed and turns off the alarm clock--unable to pull myself together to work out--again. You are definitely an inspiration.

Yes, the day was hectic, but still very good. Thanks, as always, for your unfailing, wonderful, listening ear. Love you! Happy Birthday Larry!

Liz said...

No way, Jose! You are not a wimp. But I do wish you luck getting out of bed tomorrow morning. I, on the other hand, cannot boast such exercise efforts. I told Laura B. yesterday morning, when I was sitting next to her at the junior high, and she was talking about her weightlifting partner, that I was sorely missing my walking partner. And to prove it: only one 20 minute session of walking in 3 days!

Tera said...

Oh man, I can totally relate. One time I went to a class called "boot camp". I should have been deterred by the name alone, but you know, sometimes I can be a little slow. After 10 minutes I was ready to quit, I was having to drag myself to do the next thing. However, I didn't want to look like the fool that quit and walked out half way through so I stuck it out. When I got home, I threw up, it was that hard. I couldn't go up my stairs for 3 days, and I cried with every movement. Sucked. Good luck!