Friday, April 24, 2009

Joshua Tree

About 2 weeks ago, thanks to my wonderful sister and her husband, our family experienced the rock climbing at Joshua Tree National Park. I was so pumped for this excursion (part of our family reunion in Palm Springs) because I had never been climbing before. So we headed out on a not-too-hot day to visit the great outdoors.

Devon, being the rock-climbing stud muffin that he is, brought all the gear, set up the ropes so two separate areas could host climbers. He and Laurel are unbelievable. And super supportive of newbies.

To make a long story short, my eldest child demurred. He did a little freestylin', but then he spent the rest of the day gallivanting with his brother and cousins. My other boy climbed a couple feet and then got a little nervous. I was hoping he'd do more, but that's okay. Girl #1 got all geared up and then went up a couple inches. Girl #2 (2 1/2 years) didn't even think of anything but snacks--my kind of girl! Then Ella got on the ropes. And climbed the whole thing. She was the first kid (and a girl!) to finish the climb. I was amazed. But then, she does have climbing in her genes. By this time, I was getting a little nervous. What if I chickened out and couldn't make it to the top? Would this be a repeat of another family reunion embarrassment? I know my family probably thinks I am referring to my "interpretive dance" skills, but you all know I ROCK THE DANCE FLOOR!!! I was actually talking about that same family reunion at Lake Powell where I was such a wimp that I couldn't even pull myself out of the water while water skiing. I tried and tried, but I couldn't do it.

So with that baggage firmly entrenched in my mind, I started to climb. I was a little cocky (RED FLAG, right?) and felt like I was doing well. Then I hit the part that had stymied Jefferson. I had to try the "Emperor's New Groove" move, and I actually made it! I reached the top! I wasn't nervous, more pumped with adrenalin, and I was so proud of myself. Laurel was a great supporter, and I had a great time. It was a lot of fun, and I discovered a few muscles that I had been ignoring (hee, hee).

Overall, it was a great day. So tiring, but so fun. Then we got home, ate, and spent some time at the pool. That is what a vacation is all about--doing things you normally wouldn't be able to with family you love but rarely get to see. Lucky us!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You go GIRL!!! Looks like a blast!! I love how you write, I feel like I am in your kitchen and you are telling me all these stories! So glad Ogden is being nice to you!